Friday, November 20, 2020

A Christian Ministry Pioneer for God’s Glory

Fifty years ago while a student at Oral Roberts University, I received God’s call to serve as a Christian media pioneer. I am so thankful that the Lord guided and led me for decades to produce thousands of ministry and Bible teaching TV and radio programs. I feel very fulfilled in that, and I have no regrets. But if there's one aspect of my story that I have been understandably ill-prepared for, it is during my latter years knowing that I have so much more to give as His vision continues to burn brightly within me, but that opportunities seemingly have escaped me.  We face things that we cannot explain, and they drastically affect our plans and potentially even our destiny. But I am not deterred from following the Lord. I'm still “stepping out in faith” because we are “Holy Spirit led.” (James 2:18b, Romans 8:14)


Perhaps going through difficulties and setbacks is (in the wisdom of the Father) God’s way of teaching us what we can only learn in such places of brokenness. 

So, as a pioneer, I have become fluent in the language of broken dreams having “groanings too deep for words" (Romans 8:26) as I take these situations before Him, seeking His answers, and receiving the strength “with power through his Spirit in my inner being" (Ephesians 3:16) to continue trusting Him. 


I fully expect that God is not finished with me yet. I am not underestimating the importance of the times of “being laid on a shelf” simply as an observer. It is humbling. But “what is impossible for man is possible with God.” (Luke 17:27) I pray that the experiences as a media ministry pioneer along with the extended season of being sidelined are preparing me and making me more pliable or flexible to yet fulfill the plan of God to use me in the future. I am totally surrendered to His will. There is no longer an exultation of accolades of prior accomplishments— only trust as I listen for “His still small voice” (1 King’s 19:12b) to guide me.


“Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you” ~~ 1 Peter 5:6–7 (NASB)


I am not settling, and you shouldn’t either for “we walk by faith and not by sight.” (2 Corinthians 5:7). 

No comments: